Avonlea Shoulder Bag

A part of Operation: Use Up Stash
(except for the part where I had to go buy more yarn, but then I ended up not needing the new skein, but I still ended up adding to the stash)

Yes, it’s been a long time, and yes, I have things to share, starting with the Avonlea Shoulder Bag. I started working on this what seems like a very long time ago – March, I think. I actually finished the knitting very quickly, but then I got to the point where I needed a zipper, and well, it took me a long time to get a zipper.

This project is free on Ravelry from Melissa Walshe. And so begins the backstory…(a point of warning – pay no attention to the excessive amount of cat hair)

Original bag

In this first picture (right), you can see I finished the bag as per the directions. The skein of yarn I was working with was from some frogged project of yesteryear, and I wasn’t even sure the brand, let along the yardage. Needless to say, it was not enough, and I ran out of yarn after completing the body of the bag. So, I found another yarn at the store that I thought matched pretty well (as long as it’s not in direct, natural light), and finished the handles as shown.

This is where I started to doubt the bag. Up to this point I was really in love with the construction, texture, size, basically everything (really awesome pattern, Melissa). The handles are double-knit, which provides great support, but if I were to wear this purse in the summer, my shoulder would be sweating in minutes. Gross. Plus, I thought the proportion of the handles didn’t work with the proportion of the body (the body ended up being a little smaller as I was trying to conserve a my yarn with unknown yardage).

What to do, what to do? I had to go to the store to get a zipper anyway, and stumbled upon purse handles, and BINGO! My answer to avoiding sweaty shoulders!

Strap attachment detail

So I cut (eek!) the handles and knitted a thick cable strap at each corner for the handle loops (left). Sorry, the photo is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

Overall, I’m really please with the way this turned out. I still need to sew a lining, but I’m taking baby steps with this whole sewing thing. Getting the zipper sewn in was traumatic enough.

And to finish this post…a slideshow!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

View this project on Ravelry.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Avonlea Shoulder Bag

  1. Pingback: Knitted Style « theresacouch

  2. Love to see my work out in the world getting mods and showing what the creative commons is all about! The handles are definitely a challenge and not for everyone, style-wise. How you pick up the stitches changes the proportions of the finished project. It took me three tries to get it right. Nice modification. : )

    -MW
    http://variationsonastring.wordpress.com/

    • Thanks! I really love the pattern! I think the handles were also not working for me because the red was such a deep color and the handles seemed overpowering. Your bag also ended up with better proportions! I wear this purse all the time a love it. Like I said , I still need to work on a lining…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s