Tunic: My First Sewing Project

My first sewing project! Well, okay, I’ve sewn before – like pillows and jean hems, but I’ve never made an actual garment from bolt fabric. Above is the finished project, but this is how it started: (this is the pattern)

“What have I gotten myself into?” Unluckily, I also had an assistant:

Figuring out how to read the pattern was a lesson in humility. At the fabric store, I was thinking, “If I can read some of those knitting patterns, I should be able to figure this out, right?” Ultimately, yes, but not without a few bumps.

So I measured like five times and then finally cut the fabric, holding my breath the entire time.

Well, the good news was that it was already looking like it should. Next I sewed the shoulder seams and side seams, leaving the ends of the underarms and bottom of the side seams open to create slits. Hemming was actually not so horrible, though it took me a really long time to get it even.

Now comes the part where I almost quit. If you look at the pattern envelope again, you’ll notice that I was making pattern A, with ties in the front. I asked the woman at the fabric store which was easier, pattern A or pattern B, and she said A would be easier than B. I’m calling shenanigans.

So, to create that little slit in the front, you have to use fusible interfacing and do these complicated seams and folds. What it fusible interfacing you ask? That’s a really good question, because I had no idea! Anyway, this part didn’t turn out quite right because I improvised a small step I couldn’t decipher from the pattern, but in all I think it turned out okay.

There were two other aspects of this garment that were a bit difficult but turned out to be kind of cool tricks. The first was using bias tape along the neck to create the top hem. This was a little tricky, because by “tape” I only mean long pieces of folded white material, not adhesive tape. Getting it to shape to the neck and stay put was a bit tricky.

The second, which I didn’t take a picture of, was using 1″ wide bias tape along the waist line and then threading the elastic through to create the fitted waist.

I feel a bit more confident now using a sewing machine, but this tunic took me an embarrassingly long time (around 8.5 hours) to complete. Considering there were only 4 joins plus the hems, I feel like this should not have taken so long!

All well, more finished photos below of the arm, front, and back, respectively.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Tunic: My First Sewing Project

  1. Pingback: Getting into this whole ‘sewing’ thing « theresacouch

  2. Pingback: Paint Splatter Jumpsuit « theresacouch

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s