Wow, I’m already posting another project! I was so impressed with the last skirt I made that I had to make another. I used the same pattern (M5591), and the husband picked out the fabric, again. Now, close readers of my blog may remember the last time I used polka dots…it wasn’t a good experience. In fact, it kind of turned me away from polka dots. I know…I know… This polka dot project ended better, but the fabric is a slippery-ish polyester that proved a little hard to work with. I was complaining to the husband about the fabric he selected slipping all over the place and his response was, “good…experience…” Like I’m building character or something.
Anyway, I made some relatively significant modifications to make this skirt something other than a carbon copy of the floral skirt:
- I moved the zipper from the back seam to the side seam. This meant that I cut both the front and back skirt panels on the fold of the fabric (taking into account the extra 5/8″ seam allowance on the back skirt panel that wasn’t necessary).
- I also cut both the front and back waist band sections on the fold, again removing 5/8″ from the back band section since I wouldn’t be needing it.
- In place of the pleats, I gathered the front and back sections using ease stitching (a good tutorial here). I kept the fabric near the side seams and pockets flat so that it would be easy to sew and so that the pockets would lay smooth.
- I actually inserted the zipper per directions this time, which, lo and behold, was easier than winging like I did last time. The zipper is still a little messed up, but I only had to sew it in once.
- I edged stitched along the pocket and waistband in contrast (white) thread
And viola, a new skirt.