(Apologies in advance for the poor quality photos. I was my own photog today.)
Presenting a more-or-less fixed Sorbetto. First, many thanks to Terri and MaryKS for their comments on my last post.
To summarize my fix:
- After removing the bias tape, I stay stitched the neck. This was easier to do this time around for two reasons. First, I had already attached the front and back at the shoulders so there was no “end” to the fabric, which I think helped prevent my machine from “eating” it. Secondly, I used a regular zipper foot of all things to do the stay stitch, which helped keep the fabric flat and prevented my machine from “eating” it (again, I think).
- Next, I sewed on the bias tape, pulling it pretty taut in the process. I think this was my biggest mistake from the previous attempt. I definitely had too much bias tape; I ended up cutting 1/2″-3/4″ off the end. I actually re-sewed the bias tape twice as I attached the wrong side the first time…it’s like I was trying to mangle my fabric.
- Once I had the neck done, the arms were not so bad. I used the same method and pulled the bias tape to prevent gapping.
It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better than before. I think the next time I need to use bias tape, I’m just going to buy some. I’m not convinced it was worth all the trouble to make my own.