With the arrival of Spring, I’m feeling much more inspired to sew, though it did snow about 2 inches this morning.
This is pattern M6700 and I used a jersey fabric. I ordered the fabric from Fabric.com, and didn’t realize how large the pattern repeat was, and once I got the pattern on the fabric, I decided to “color block” the dress.
However, I didn’t have quite enough fabric to do this, so it required me to halve the back skirt section into two panels and sew the back together. Not a huge deal, but lining up the stripes proved more difficult than I anticipated. I’m actually really proud of my stripe-matching-skills (above). It did give me good practice for matching the side seams.
I cut and sewed the ties at the shoulder, but when it came to putting them on the dress, they just didn’t make a lot of sense to me so I left them off. The shoulders don’t slip, so it’s not a necessary design element.
The only modification I made was to bring the waist band up to create a higher empire waist as the pattern waist falls about near the natural waist. I also cut a larger pattern size to allow for outward expansion…
(please excuse the cat photobomb)
That reminds me – I’m 4 months pregnant! For the near future, I’ll be trying to sew maternity-appropriate clothing. Mostly I’m just altering my current patterns and sewing A-line, empire patterns, but eventually that won’t be enough. So if you have maternity pattern suggestions, please let me know.