A Sorbetto Problem: Please Help!


*Sigh*  I have a problem and need advice.  Presenting Sorbetto (free pattern!), approximately 75% complete. The fabric was on the discount table at the fabric store, so I don’t know much about it’s contents other than it’s a cotton blend of some sort.  It has a slight stretch on the bias.

But first a photo of my ever faithful sewing assistants…


Clearly they are a big help…

Moving on.  I made my own 1/2″ bias tape using the tutorial by Coletterie.  I was really excited about making my own tape and ordered bias tape makers.  “It’s so easy” they said, “it’s fun” they said.


I read and re-read the tutorial and thought I completely understood the process.  Turns out, I didn’t.  I was completely confused and even asked the scientist husband to help.  He was also confounded despite his superior spatial orientation skills.  Finally, we both stared at the fabric long enough (which I had cut into a parallelogram and marked lines at this point) and  figured out how to align everything into a spiral tube of sorts.

I then cut out the tape, but somehow my measured lines didn’t line up – some were wider than others.  Huh?  I seriously spent a long time measuring and I still had uneven widths?  I give up.

Then I ran the bias tape through the bias tape marker with my iron.  Not as easy as I was led to believe.  It took forever to press the bias tape, but I did end up with A LOT of bias tape.


Alright, so now I was ready to attach the bias tape around the neck, which I did according to the directions in the pattern.  As here’s my problem: serious gaping.  It’s clear the neck got stretched out when I was attaching the bias tape.

But how can I fix it?

One step I skipped in the pattern directions was to stay stitch around the neck on both the front and back.  I know, this is obviously the issue.  BUT, because the bias tape is 1/4″ wide after folding, I would have had to stay stitch at 1/8″ in the seam allowance.  I did try doing this, but my machine kept “eating” the fabric with such a small allowance and almost destroying the fabric.  I finally had to give up and move on with the pattern.

But clearly this gapping is not acceptable.

My thought now is to re-make the bias tape (I’ll have to use the main fabric, of which I have plenty left over, because I don’t have any more contrast fabric).  This time, though, I’ll make  1″ tape so that I have a wider seam allowance to play with and would (hopefully) be able to successfully stay stitch the neck.

Any other suggestions?


Buzios Mod

A part of Operation: Use up Stash

This is a mod of the Buzios pattern (free pattern).  My goal with this project was to use up the variegated yarn that I didn’t care for very much.  I don’t have the original skein information, but if I remember correctly the yarn is a Red Heart Super Saver.  It isn’t very soft, so I thought a loose fitting tunic of some sort would be the most comfortable to wear.

The Buzios pattern met my goal of a loose lace pattern, but I wasn’t crazy about the scoop neck and short sleeves.  Below are my mods:

Follow pattern for body to the bottom of the underarms, ending with second to last round of seed stitch pattern.
Next round, continuing in seed stitch pattern, bind off 8 stitches for underarm; continue across body, bind off 8 stitches for underarm.
Work the rest of the project flat, front and back separately.
Beginning with the front, continue in lace pattern, decrease one stitch at each arm (decrease total of 2 stitches) every other round.
When front reaches desired length, place on stitch holders.
Work back same as front, adding approximately 1.5″-2″ of seed stitch past front.
Join front and back in the round, working in seed stitch for approximately .5″-1″, or until desired length is reach.

Below are pictures showing the pattern detail, decreases, and neck shaping.  Sorry for the poor picture quality – my usual photographer was not available, so I had to take them myself!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

View this project on Ravelry.